Friday, February 4, 2011

Cookie Time!

Being stuck inside the house is the perfect excuse to make cookies, and since Kevin had the day off, it was a perfect chance to include Jake as a helper, but have back-up when he reached his helper limit. I searched for a new recipe that didn't require a trip to the store, and found one for Chocolate Cat Cookies. Sounds cute and fun, right? They are basically chocolate/pb cookies made with devil's food cake mix. Should have been pretty simple, but it turned out to be a pretty big mess. Here's Jake stirring as we got the dough started... Once the dough is ready, it's time to make the cat faces, which require chocolate chips. My job was to mold the ears and make the whiskers with a fork indention, and it was Jake and Kevin's job to add the eyes and mouth. Let's just say, I think just one chocolate chip made it from Jake's hand to a cookie; all the rest went straight to his mouth! The boy loves his sweets and became quickly obsessed with eating the dough and chocolate chips. He was definitely no longer interested in helping. Here he is licking the spoon...
We tried to get a picture of him awaiting another bite of dough or chocolate chip, but he shut his eyes to the flash every time. I still include this because I think it's hilarious.
The dough was extremely sticky and messy, so after making cats with the first batch and having my helpers give up, I gave up too and made regular cookies the second batch. Either way, they tasted pretty good. Here's one of the cats...
I didn't capture any pictures of Jake eating the cookies, but trust me, he LOVED them!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Cooking with Emily is always quite messy as well, but I try to endure it because she loves to help and it's a great learning experience for both of us...me in patience and mess-making and her in counting and patience.