Sunday, October 24, 2010

Whose party was it?

We went to a birthday party on Saturday for our 3-year-old friend, Owen. I was really excited about the party b/c it was at Kiddie Acres, a place we've never been, and that I thought Jake would love. Well, he LOVED it! I have to say he loved the evening so much, he probably thought we were there celebrating him rather than Owen. The first thing he chose to ride were these cars...I admit I was in a bit of a Mommy shock that my "baby" was riding such a big boy ride all by himself while I stood on the other side of the fence....can you believe it? He then insisted on playing miniature golf. Jake's version of mini golf was pretty chaotic and all over the place with his hands touching the ball more than the club, but he loved it all the same. Here's one of the rare moments that actually resembled golf...
After our round of golf, it was pinata time! Jake went straight for the balls. I think at this stage, he doesn't quite know the value of candy, but he definitely knows the value of a ball. That's Daddy's boy for you...
A birthday isn't complete without cake...The cake was great, but Jake was actually more interested in the lollipop he got from the pinata. He was in heaven with it, as was his friend, Will...
After the sugar high, we enjoyed a nice ride on the choo-choo train. For some reason Jake wouldn't stick his head up for the camera... Then it was off to the boats. This ride took either the #1 or #2 place for the night. Jake was smiling and laughing almost the entire ride. I think a big part of the fun was riding along side his buddies, Levi and Colt...
These airplanes were the other ride that fought for first place for the night. It was impossible for me to get a picture in motion, but he loved "flying" around. Again, he partnered up with Levi. It was really enjoyable for Kevin and I to see Jake interact with his friends and show genuine interest in spending time with them.
Now for the ride that almost sent me into Mommy overload. Jake rode this ride without an adult...
Two of his older (3-year-old) friends wanted to ride the ferris wheel, and Jake and Levi followed right along. I looked at Kevin and said,"Can he do this?" then I looked at Jake and thought, "Can you do this?" and then took a deep breath. It seemed a little scary to me, but to Jake it was all in a day of fun. It is definitely true peer pressure has a strong impact on kids, b/c I'm pretty sure neither Jake nor Levi would have stepped on the thing without the support of Colt and Abbie to lead the way. After several reminders from me to stay on their bottoms, they were off, and did great!
So, after lots of pizza, sugar, fun with friends, and rides galore, it was time to head home. Jake was sad to go; until we distracted him with his party favors for the car ride. What else does a boy need than a new book, fun star glasses, and Buzz Lightyear?
When is the next party, Mom?

2 comments:

Charis said...

Fun post! I heard all about the party when the boys got home (on their sugar high) and they had just as much fun. It IS fun to see them interacting with their friends. Glad Jake is one of them!

Chez said...

Wow, that place looks awesome! I love to see Jake hanging out with my nephews - what fun to see my favorite three baby boys running around together!! :)