Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Scary Day

Last Tuesday night was a very rough night in the Lawson household. I'm usually extremely long-winded, but I'll do my best to make a long story shorter. Jake fell off a swing in our backyard and hit his forehead against the edge of our concrete porch resulting in a bad gash that gushed and gushed blood. I saw the whole thing happen before my eyes as I pushed him on the swing, something caught his eye, and he just let go and fell down right before me. I managed to stop the bleeding at home, we gave Jake a popscicle which immediately stopped his tears, grabbed an extra for the road and headed to Cedar Park ER b/c it was evident he would need stiches. I admit, I was a wreck during the time. I was feeling a lot of guilt and worry, and just kept praying for Jake to be OK. After some waiting, a CAT scan, and 5 stiches, we got home about 11 pm. The doctor told us that Jake also had a concussion, so we woke him up at 1 am to see if all seemed fine, and it did. Then another whirlwind hit at 3 am when he woke up vomiting. Ultimately, when the vomiting hadn't stopped, we were back in the car at 7:30 am to head to Dell Children's ER. Luckily, Jake checked out fine there, the children's radiologist agreed that his CAT scan looked good, some meds stopped his vomiting, and we left there around lunch time extremely exhausted and relieved. Apparently the vomiting was "normal" following the concussion.

Jake had his stiches out at the pediatrician's on Monday, so he now has quite the war wound right across his forehead. I'm faithfully applying Mederma on the scar 4 times a day in hopes that it doesn't turn out looking too bad. Luckily he's a boy and probably won't really care. Here's my tough, brave boy after the stiches came out.
My parents came in town for a visit this week, so Jake got some extra special love after his doctor's visit.
I had to add this pic to reassure myself and everyone that Jake is completely fine and healthy.
We are so thankful for the prayers and support of family and friends. We had meals delivered to us, offers to come to the house to help watch Jake, many texts, phone calls and e-mails all sharing love for us and Jake. We are blessed to be so loved. Jake even got special homemade cards delivered to us by our huddle kids. Jake loved the cards, and we hung them in his room to proudly display.

2 comments:

Noelle said...

Oh man that is so scary! I'm so glad that he is okay now!

Elizabeth said...

Poor Jake! So glad he is ok!