Sunday, January 2, 2011

TWO!

I'm still in a bit of denial, but I know I need to face reality, so the first step is to blog about it. Jake is officially two!!! We decided to spend his birthday weekend with just the three of us, so he'd already had celebrations with our families over Christmas break. I'll post about those later. How did we start his birthday weekend at home? By converting his bed to a big boy bed!! Jake even helped put it together...And when I say "big boy bed," I mean BIG. Jake's crib was convertible and we opted to only get the conversion for the full sized bed rather than the toddler bed. He's slept in his new bed the past three nights and has done great, but he definitely looks tiny curled up in there. Once we got the bed up, with sheets and comforter, we let Jake have a look before we put up the safety rail. The first thing he did was climb on and start jumping! His room isn't quite finished, but it's on it's way, and I'm very proud and happy. Here he is jumping away... Jake woke up Sunday morning to a decorated house and a table of presents. He got one present immediately since it wasn't really wrapped. This may sound like a horrible present, but we got him his own broom and dustpan set. Trust me, this is not a horrible present for Jake. He LOVES the small broom I keep in the pantry for quick sweep-ups. He always wants to sweep when I'm sweeping, and often got my broom out even when I wasn't sweeping. Anyhow, it really is a great present, see?
After church, a Double Dave's lunch (b/c when we asked what he wanted, his reply was "Pizza!"), and a nap, it was time for presents...
It was a Mickey themed day, so we got him some Mickey pjs. I love this shot of him holding it up against himself just like an adult would do when seeing how it might fit...
A Mickey themed birthday isn't complete without a Mickey birthday cake. Here is what the final product was. I have to admit, I was very proud of myself. It may not be professional grade, but it's definitely made with Mommy's love and care...
As soon as we tried to get out the cake and sing, I immediately realized we might should've done the cake before the presents. Jake was a little preoccupied with his new soccer ball, and not too interested in the cake at first...
But after a bit of time, and some singing, he started to become more interested...
He successfully blew out the candle all by himself, and was definitely interested in the cake now, but not so much so to drop his new ball. After he blew out his candle, he immediately reached his hand down into the cake and grabbed for Mickey's nose. I admit I cringed at first thinking, "Oh no, all my hard work, don't mess it up." But luckily, that thought quickly passed as I reminded myself that it was Jake's birthday and Jake's cake to eat however he wanted. Here's the reach for the nose...
It's not nearly as exciting as the classic 1st birthday cake pics, but here he is enjoying his cake...

After a good sugar rush, it was time to try out the new soccer ball and goal...
One-on-one...
And he scores!

It was truly a great day, and I surely hope Jake felt all our love and joy for him. More posts to come to acknowledge this special time including celebrations with grandparents, and the things I don't want to forget about this season of our life with Jake.

2 comments:

Kim P. said...

Great job on the cake!! Happy Birthday Jake! I wast just thinking earlier today that I can't believe he's already two. Joe and I were so impressed with how laid back and happy your little guy is. I like the new bed and am glad the transition is going well.

Chez said...

Wow! The cake look fantastic! Can't wait to hear how you did it! The bedding looks good too, and you're right, Jake looks tiny!!

Is it wrong for me to pray that Eliza loves to sweep? I LOVE that about Jake. He can come practice at my house anytime! :)