Monday, May 24, 2010

Sprinklers

When I think of growing up in Texas summers, one thing that's definitely a necessity is playing in the sprinklers. Kevin and I bought this special play sprinkler for Jake and we tested it out for the first time yesterday. It was a slow progression getting used to the sprinkler and finding his comfort level. It went a little like this: First, I ran ran through the sprinkler with him in my arms to show him how fun it is. You can't see well in the picture, but his face is one of laughter; he loved this...
Next, we progressed to me holding his hand while we both ran through the sprinker. He did not like this. I think the water was face level for him and he did not like the water directly in his face.
Next, we let him explore on his own. He was very brave and went up to the water spouts, but by the looks on his face, he still didn't like it too much...
Next, Kevin showed him that it's OK to touch the sprinklers.

That's when Jake found his niche in the summer sprinkler department. Hold on to the spouts and direct water AWAY from self. We let him spray us, and we both ran right up to him and jumped over his head. This was his most fun of all! Not exactly how I imagined him playing in the sprinklers, but playing nonetheless.

1 comment: