Thursday, March 25, 2010

La Sagrada Familia--Zoo Days

The Founder and Director of the orphanage, Miguel, specifically asked us to sponsor a field trip because the kids NEVER have the opportunity to leave the orphanage grounds, so that's just what we did. We had one day at the zoo for the girls and one day for the boys. It was pretty crazy to have over 300 kids with us exploring the huge Lima zoo in the hot sun, but it was well worth it just looking at the children's faces--even the faces of 17-year-old boys!


Everyone on the trip was "matched" with a specific casa so we could focus on developing relationships with a certain group of kids. I was matched with the oldest girls casa, ranging from 14-18 years old. Here is a pic of some of my girls...Each day at the zoo we had picnic style lunches in a huge grassy area. It was nice to enjoy some down time with the kids, plus the area was really beautiful. The grass was nice and green, and there were beautiful trees. I think the kids must have also really enjoyed this nice change of scenery...Over the course of the week, I became closest with three girls from my casa. They spoke fairly good English so it made it easier to communicate with them. The zoo was a perfect opportunity to spend a lot of time talking and getting to know one another as we walked around. They are beautiful, sweet girls who greeted me by name and with loving hugs throughout the week. This is Marleny and Soledad....and this is me with Claudia...One of the primary reasons we went on this specific trip was that it was organized for the Junior and Senior classes at church. We work with the Junior class on a weekly basis. It was such a blessing to have this opportunity alongside our group of kids. There were so many moments where I learned from them, was awed and felt proud. This picture depicts just a part of what made it so special. Look how sweet those guys are...On the guys' zoo day, both Kevin and I were paired with the oldest guys. It was definitely a different atmosphere than the girls' day, but a blessing all the same. Here they are...Kevin just chillin' with some boys...Here's another pic to tug at your heartstrings about how sweet American teenage boys can actually be...This last picture is Kevin and I with the 6 Junior Huddle kids who were on the trip. Thank you for reminding me of the power and love capable of teenagers. These kids are truly an inspiration, as are the rest of our Huddle who were spread out other places for Spring Break. The Bible tells us in Phillipians, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." This verse was not just intended for adults, but for all who love and follow the Lord. These kids are tremendous examples that through Him, we can do incredible things!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Oh Kellie, those pictures just made me tear up, I know I am a big cry baby, but it's just so beautiful to see all that love, especially with those teenage guys being so gentle. If we could all just love and take care of one another like that- what a world it would be.