Friday, March 26, 2010

La Sagrada Familia-Adios

We celebrated our time together on our final afternoon with a party hosted by the kids. They have their own band, so they played music for two hours, while we danced, sweat, and enjoyed our final moments with the kids.
We even had a conga line going at one point. Guess who started it? None other than my very own husband, Kevin.
During most of the party I spent time dancing with the oldest girls. It felt very similar to how dancing often goes in the States---a big circle of girls with them taking turns in the middle. I was pulled in the middle A LOT, but I loved it. One of my not-so-secret loves is dancing, so I was happy to try my hand at their dance style. Here I am with my main dance "teacher." I never even got her name, but she took to me very quickly and stuck with me to help with the steps.
The party came to a close too quickly, and it was time to load up the buses. This is a shot I took looking out the window of our bus. The kids were sending us off--it was a beautiful, yet difficult sight. If I would have taken a picture of the inside of the bus, you would see tear stained faces of nearly every American---even the 17 and 18-year-old boys. I think we all left a little bit of our hearts behind that day...
I personally feel so blessed for the opportunity we had to spend a week at La Sagrada Familia. God showed me much more of who He is and what His love looks like. I saw this on the faces of the orphanage children, the faces of our adults and teens as they poured themselves into the kids, and most of all, on the face of the orphanage director, Miguel. I really think that more than any individual I have ever met in my life, Miguel represents who God calls us to be. He has dedicated his entire life to the lives of these kids, and I have no doubt he loves them as his own flesh and blood. It was an earthly example of God's love for all of us. Miguel has over 750 children. The Lord has over 6 billion children. I can't truly fathom either of those facts, yet I know they are true. Just as I know the orphanage kids know Miguel's love for them, it's my hope that all of God's children will one day know the love of their Father.

No comments: