Monday, December 7, 2009

The latest...

I mentioned in my last post that Mommy's shoes are one of the non-toy items Jake likes to play with. Well, I caught him red handed...
Ooohhh, I particularly like this black pump... so much, I think I'll have a taste...
Last week there was a lot of hype in the Austin area about snow coming on Friday. Some predictions said we might get 1 to 4 inches. Of course, the possible snow was the talk of the town and seemed to be all you heard on the news. I was thinking, "I'll believe it when I see it." Well, I did see it, for 10 whole minutes...
Regardless of how miniscule the actual amount of snow was, it was memorable and exciting to take Jake out in his "first snow." He didn't seem all that thrilled...
What are we doing out here? It's freezing...On Sunday night, we celebrated our friend, Anderson's 1st birthday. He and Jake are exactly 4 weeks apart, so it's fun to watch them growing up together. Jake had an awesome time. Mostly because Anderson was nice and shared his toys. How cute, we're riding together. This is pretty fun...
"Uh, oh, I'm not so sure if I want to share this ride," thinks Anderson.
"Whoo, hooo! Now I get the ride all to myself!"
It's much easier to share other toys, especially these super cool shades. Check us out...

Kevin's chillin' with the boys....
I don't mention Jake's eating habits much on the blog. Partially because it's probably boring and partially because lately it hasn't been as smooth flowing as I hoped. Jake took to nursing very well from the start, and I'm proud to stay we're still going at it; 4 times a day. I think he'll be fully weaned around 13 months--a little later than I originally thought, but I don't want to throw too much change in during our holiday travels. Anyhow, Jake did pretty good with the introduction of "solid" foods. I honestly think I had a lot of anxiety, so every time he didn't eat as well as I expected, I would get a little frustrated and a little down. We (I) somehow managed to make it through to him loving pureed food (even broccoli, but not spinach)--he was eating about 60-70% Mommy's purees, and the rest jarred food.
Now, we're at the point of eating more and more table foods, and I've sadly discovered that my baby boy has a definite opinion on what he likes and doesn't like. He has blatantly spit foods out of his mouth, dropped them down to Skylar, or simply touched it with a finger, then refused anything else. I think I had this grand dream of Jake loving all food--kind of like how I am now. My dream is definitely not shattered; it's just been slowed down a little bit. I honestly think a big part of the food resistance is a resistance to touching certain textures, but we're working on it. Over the last couple weeks, we've seen vast expansion on what he will eat. I try to offer him at least some kind of non-pureed food at every meal (not including puffs, cheerios, crackers). Here he is chowing down on some pasta and bread a few weeks ago...
Last night, we had chicken tetrazzini for dinner and Jake seemed to love it! He also did a great job with diced peaches. Green beans were not a success, although he'll eat the jarred version, so we went that route for our veggies. Yum yum, spaghetti noodles...
We're definitely making big strides in the food area, just don't judge us on our table manners ;-)...

3 comments:

myra said...

Is it just me or does it seem crazy to you that Jake is going to be 1 soon!

And I think feeding issues are probably the number one stress button for moms during that 1st year. Don't be too hard on yourself. He looks like he's healthy and growing and that's what's important. I've found with Morgandy that she's always gone through phases of eating well/not eating well. And that thing that someone said about having to try something 10 times before you decide if you really do like it or not is very true.

Chez said...

Good grief, you've got a lot of shoes. I wish we were the same size so we could share! :)

Kim P. said...

I echo Myra with the fact that Jake seems to be eating really well. It is hard not to stress about teaching your child to be healthy, but the bottom line is that the older they get the more independent-minded they get and have more opinions. They also go through phases, and currently every day is different with Ryan. One day he'll eat a banana and the next he won't! Just don't let it stress you too much and keep offering healthy foods. And I agree about the texture thing. There are some things Ryan has refused to eat and I know it's been a texture not a taste thing, like cake for instance. You're doing a great job!