Friday, August 7, 2009

These are a few of our favorite things...

I thought I'd share a few of Jake and my favorite things lately. Most of his favorite things also become mine because I love watching him enjoy things, smile and laugh. There are a couple books Jake really likes right now that we read daily. The first is "Five Speckled Frogs." It makes the top of the list mostly because it's a sound book so you push a button and the frogs croak. Also, both Kevin and I read it in "rap" version while including the croaking. He starts to smile immediately when we pull it out."Five speckled frogs were playing all day long, croaking froggy songs and having lots of fun! Singing...." Works every time for a bright big smile.We read before naps and bedtime, and every bedtime reading includes this book, "Little Quack's Bedtime" (sorry it's the wrong way; I'm technically challenged). We started reading it at bedtime mainly because it was one of the only "bedtime" stories we really had, but now it's part of our routine. We also like it because Jake's hair resembles the little ducks' hair. He started off looking like Little Quack, but now his hair resembles Waddle.
Jake LOVES Johnny Jumper! We borrowed this from Chad, Cassy, and Cohen, and it is now something I don't know what we would do without. He loves jumping and swinging in it.



I love getting Jake out of bed in the morning because he wakes up in a happy mood and always greets me with a smile. I've gotten in the habit of singing the same three songs for him every morning: 1."Good morning, good morning, to you" (I don't know if this is really a song, but I put it to a tune, so it's our song) 2. "When the red, red robin comes bop, bop, boppin' along, along..." 3. "Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory..." This morning I tried to capture his adorable morning smile, but instead all I could capture was a grumpy face. I think he's telling me, "Mom it's not nice to flash a camera at me first thing in the morning. Stop."
This one is sweet, however. This is his nightime buddy, Blamey. Blamey must be included in the things that Jake loves. He takes all naps and goes to bed with him everyday.
Jake also loves wrestling with Daddy, and I love to watch. His loudest giggles and biggest smiles seem to come when wrestling with Daddy. They roll around on the floor together and Jake has learned that his greatest defense is his slober. Here they are having fun.


I'll end with what I think is Jake's favorite food: pears. He's becoming a much better eater these days, but he definitely prefers fruits over veggies. I'm now pureeing his food and he loves pears. Sorry, no picture for this one. Have a great weekend!!!

3 comments:

Kim P. said...

I love the picture with his lovey while he's sucking his thumb. So cute! And it cracks me up that you do a rap for that book. The things we do for those great little smiles!

Noelle said...

Those pictures are so cute. I definitely think you should post a video of the rap version of the book. I think it would make my day!

Whitney said...

Austin loved his jumper thing too- and it really helped with his skills! He is already jumping in the air (both feet up at the same time), and his teacher at The Little Gym said that is typical of a 2 yr old (he's 17 months old!) So keep him jumping!! Austin would also fall asleep in it often- which was humorous to watch! Very cute pics of your precious little boy!