Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of School

Today is the first day of school for many teachers, school staff, and students. This is also the first year in 5 years, I haven't been starting school either as a student or to work as a school social worker, so it's a little strange not heading off somewhere. From my experience working in schools, and having a husband and several good friends who are teachers, I feel like I have a better understanding than most of what teachers experience. Trust me, their jobs are tough! Kevin is an Algebra II teacher, head cross country coach, and Assistant Varsity coach at Leander High School. I am very proud of his profession and the commitment he makes to his students and athletes YEAR-ROUND. God has given him a gift to work with teens, and I admire the choice he made to follow his passion and to make a difference in young people's lives. It's sometimes hard when he's away from home a lot in the midst of sports' seasons, but it helps to know he's doing it for the kids.

Last week, Jake and I brought Kevin lunch and helped out in his classroom a couple days. I don't have any before shots, but trust me, it was bad. Here are some after shots of his room. Jake and Kevin are showing off the finished product:
His back wall is filled with lots of old-school sports posters: Michael Jordan, Nolan Ryan, Charles Barkley, etc. Yes, they have nothing to do with math, but they are a good representation of who Kevin is. The side wall is filled with a combination of math and inspirational quote posters. He was in desperate need of some new posters, so I went to Mardels and got 9 new ones on sale. I have to say, they make quite a difference.
Here's Kevin's first eager student ready to learn all about Algebra II. Well, maybe we'll just start with counting to ten and wait a couple years for Algebra II.


I wish all you teachers, students, principals, counselors, office staff, custodians, and Communities In Schools workers :-) a great year!!

1 comment:

Amaro Family said...

Seems like not too long ago he could only fit in a car seat, and now he's ready for school! Wouldn't that be something if he had his dad for Alg II?