Saturday, September 17, 2011

Jake and Mommy

Today, Jake and I had a "Jake and Mommy Day". Kevin was at an out-of-town cross country meet, and we had no "plans," so the day was ours. I loved today. I love the chances to just hang out with my boy and have fun however we want. I don't want to ever forget how precious these days are.

We ran an errand to Target, made a free fossil craft at Lakeshore Learning, had a picnic and played outside at the Arboretum, and shared a cup of Amy's Ice Cream. Nothing too special, just a fun day together, but the favorite part of the day came nearly first thing.

The very first thing Jake wanted to do when he woke up was play baseball. Without a reason to rush to breakfast, we did just that: Mommy was the pitcher and Jake the batter. After one exceptionally good hit, I looked at Jake in a way I know I look at him when I'm feeling sentimental and proud. I didn't say one word, just looked at him and Jake said, "You're so proud of me, Mommy." I then replied to him, "Yes, you're exactly right, Jake, I'm so proud of you." He was exactly right, and I'm so glad he knows that with only just the look on my face. I hope that's something he knows for the rest of his life, and not only by the way I look at him, but by the way I tell him through my words and actions for as long as I live.

I don't want to have a post without at least one picture, so here's one I took these morning. I think the name that suits this face is "extra cheesy." This is what Jake looks like when he says a VERY exaggerated "cheese" for the camera...

No comments: