Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Port Aransas 2011, Part 2

I'm dedicating one entire blog to fishing. First off, my dad and Kevin went deep sea fishing one morning and loved it! I got up early to drop them off, so here they are on the boat before heading off...
We got a call a little earlier than we expected to pick them up, so I was a little worried at first. Fortunately, there was no need to worry b/c they made a killing...They caught all red snapper, and caught b/t 15-20 total. You're only allowed to bring in 2 fish per person to keep, so that's what they did. We even brought their fresh catch with us to the restaurant that night and we were able to eat it...delicious! When they got back, we let Jake walk around the boat to check it out. Daddy and Jake...Papa and Jake...We also wanted Jake to have a try at his first fishing experience, so on another morning we drove to a shallow area so Jake could try his skills...He ultimately had to go pant-less to avoid getting entirely soaked...Papa was in heaven fishing alongside his grandson...We didn't really have an expectation of catching anything since we just randomly picked a spot, and we were using salami as bait. It was really just for the experience of it all...but God was shining down on us and Jake actually caught something!
Here's Jake showing off his very first catch...I love his face in this shot. It's a cross between grossed out and worn out. Jake actually didn't like pulling the fish up out of the water. He wanted to let it stay in to swim around.After a picture of the prize, we let the little guy go, and shortly headed back to the condo. I'm pretty sure all of the adults were way more excited about the catch than Jake. I think it's the fact that we actually know that fishing isn't as easy as it looks, but for now, Jake can live in a world where it's easy as can be. A couple days after our trip, I was asking Jake some questions about it, and asked him, "What kind of fish did you catch?" My mom told him many times it was a perch, so I was wondering if he remembered. His immediate response was, "Nemo!"To go along with the fishing, I'll include a quick note about the wonderful food we ate. My family LOVES seafood, and I am proud to say that Jake did a great job eating several kinds of fish, shrimp and crab. I was very proud of how well he ate and how adventurous he was. Here's everyone the final night about to enjoy an amazing key lime pie!

No comments: