Friday, May 20, 2011

Back-to-Back

Jake was a very lucky boy and had back-to-back grandparent weekends. After a great extended weekend with my parents, Kevin's parents came in town for a visit last weekend. Since we had Saturday wide open and it was great weather, we decided to try one of our original Mother's Day outing destinations--The Exotic Resort Zoo outside of Johnson City. My parents took Jake and I here when he wasn't quite one (http://kellielawson.blogspot.com/2009/10/worthy.html), and I knew it was a place where I wanted Jake to go to again, and that I knew Kevin would love. For those of you who may not know, Kevin is a fool for anything with animals! Again, this place did not disappoint, and I'm proud to say I was much braver this time! We didn't, however, have any close encounters with camels which is what freaked me out the most the first time, but we did have some crazy tongue encounters... Just in case you're not an expert at tongue identification, this is a buffalo...
Jake was very cautious during the ride. He didn't even really want to sit next to any of us or on our laps. His spot of choice was center of the trailer...
His safe central spot did not keep him from keeping a keen eye out. He definitely was good at spotting all the animals and liked seeing them...He mostly threw out the food from right in the middle too. He would just get a couple pieces at a time to throw (you can see one piece in his hand in this pic). I thought this was a little funny because most of the kids on the trailer would grab big handfuls at at time. Jake was much more conservative about it.One cool thing about going this time of year is that we saw lots of babies! Babies of any kind are so cute! In front of these big, burly cows are little baby emus (at least I think so)...It was a great ride! Once again, I definitely recommend this for a fun, family outing.
They also have a petting zoo which is included in the price of your tour. After being a little apprehensive on the trailer, I thought Jake would be even more apprehensive in the petting zoo since nothing separated him and the animals. I was so wrong! He did really great. He refused to hand-feed any animals while on the tour, but he was hand feeding in the zoo like a genuine farm boy...The most funny thing about the petting zoo was one particular deer's fascination with Nana's shirt. This deer kept chewing on her shirt! He tried it a little with me, but there must have been something especially sweet tasting about Carla b/c he tried to follow her around like this for awhile. This might have been Kevin's favorite part ;-)
After the zoo, we headed into Marble Falls to eat lunch. We had a great view of the river, so we had to get some pics...
After well-deserved afternoon naps and our first sprinkler fun of the season, we headed to Jason's deli for a light dinner (we were all still pretty stuffed from lunch). Jake enjoyed an ice cream cone for dessert, so I just have to include one ice cream pic!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Looks like lots of fun!