Friday, June 25, 2010

Things to remember

I thought I'd take a moment to jot down some things I don't won't to forget about this time. Here goes nothing:

1. Jake likes being a very independent eater. He is now using his own utensils, and he mostly does NOT want help. We've discovered the easiest way for him to eat and actually get enough food in his tummy is for him to have a spoon and for us to have a spoon. As long as he still gets to hold his own utensil, he's fine with getting help, but the moment you try to take his utensil out of his hand to try to help him he flips out in protest.

2. Jake continues to love music. This is my #1 favorite thing about him because it's so cute to see him dance and/or play music with his instruments. Two of our Lawson family activities are Lawson family band and dance party in Jake's room. For dance party, we play "Footloose" in his CD player and just let the music guide the rest. I know it is hilarious to watch, but so far, no one has had the opportunity to witness a Lawson dance party. In case you're wondering, song choice is very important b/c Jake does know the difference and will protest if we try a different song. That's OK with me; Kevin Bacon does seem like a pretty good guide to a dance party! Here's Jake and Kevin trying out the new instruments I brought back from my trip...

3. Jake is slowly but surely starting to say things we can understand. He DOES NOT say these recognizable things on command. I admit I'm waiting for the time when he can "parrot" us. One day I'm sure he will actually repeat something I want him to, but for now he just surprises us on his own time. This is definitely the way Jake likes to do everything--on his own time. The words he has said to date are: bubble, don't, no, doggie, Papa, stuck, up, out, uh oh, hot, Daddy, choo choo, baa (ball) and Mama. I put Mama at the end b/c much to my dismay he says this the most but it does not mean me. "Mama" really means "I want" or "give me." Basically anytime he wants something he will whine, plead, and point, "Mama, mama, mama...." Although hilarious to most others, this is not exaclty what I had in mind for my son saying Mama. Oh well, once again, I know one day he will greet me with a smile and an appropriate acknowledgement of "Mama!"

4.He's been on a one nap schedule for over a month now, and we're all really enjoying the change. We try our best to keep our mornings busy and active so Jake doesn't crash too early. As long as he's busy and entertained, he is a happy boy until 12:30 or 1:00. It's been nice to enter into the schedule of Jake's older friends with all the play groups and activities we do. He can sleep anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. The day is better for everyone if he at least hits 2, but I won't complain b/c we've been gifted with a great sleeper from 2 1/2 months old.

5. He's gotten to the point where it's more noticeable to me that he really "gets" things he's exposed to. He can respond to requests like picking something up or go getting something. He's also learning things from the books we read. He has a book that mentions several body parts, and he will point to either his or my ears, eyes, nose, toes, etc. He also has a book, "From Head to Toe," which talks about movements that animals make. Jake will "thump his chest" like a gorilla, "turn his head" like a penguin, and "wave his arms" like a monkey.

6. I'll end by saying Jake's most fun playtime is spent with Daddy. I LOVE watching them play b/c Kevin is so good at creating games and having good ol' fashioned fun with Jake. Some of the latest Daddy activities have included

---Hide-and-Seek. This is played by Kevin running off to hide, then calling out, "Jake, come find me!" Jake looks all around the house following Daddy's voice, until he ultimately "finds" him and the game starts all over.
---"Run from Skylar." This one's pretty funny b/c there is never a point in the game when Skylar is chasing them, although it would appear that way. Basically, Kevin tries to keep Skylar moving (this task in itself can be a challenge) by tossing a ball around to her. Meanwhile, he tells Jake, "Let's go, she's coming to get us!" They run around until they reach the front door floormat which is "base." Jake loves this game, and it's simply nothing more than running around.
---"Pillows" There is no real name for this one, but the main ingredient is pillows. They get the throw pillow and the cushions from the couch and dive into them, kind of making our own living room foam pit. Jake loves playing with the pillows.
---"Fort" Kevin helped Jake make his very first living room fort--an activity we both grew up doing, and one I think is a basic necessity for growing up. Kevin was awesome and had different "rooms" to the fort--one for balls, one for stuffed animals. Here's a look at Jake's first fort...
They used Jake's rocket tent for part of it, so they could peer out from a long tunnel...
Thanks for hanging in there with me as I do my best to capture these things I'm worried my memory alone will allow to fade.

No comments: