Friday, August 10, 2012

Urban Folk

I am not embarrased to admit that I am definitely a suburban girl.  I live in Cedar Park and can find 95% of everything I need within 10 minutes and without ever touching a highway.  I get completely stressed at the thought of driving and parking downtown.  Despite knowing there's so much to do in Austin, I very rarely take part.  Although that may make me lame, I'm pretty OK with it because I feel comfortable in my suburban bubble free of traffic, parallel parking, and one-way streets.  A few weeks back, Jake and I had the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone into the urban world.  It was really great and went well enough that I might actually try it again!  We took our first ever ride on the MetroRail.  We were joined by some friends (of course, do you actually think I would try this alone?!?), and had a great time!  I didn't forget my suburban roots, though, so I took pictures along the way.  Here's a look into our day as urban folk:
Jake proudly holding his ticket as we wait for the train

Jake's look of concern as he's afraid we'll miss the train because
Mommy is taking pictures. 
The train was nice and clean and it was a definitely a more relaxing way to travel downtown.
Jake and his seat buddy, Will enjoying every minute
Our goal destination downtown was Austin Children's Museum, so after walking a few blocks in the big city (as all urban folk do), we arrived and had a great time at the museum.
Jake's preparing some food in the restaurant

Jake's geting ready for the big downtown job!


After the museum we ate lunch downtown, then headed back to the station to catch our train home.  It was a great urban day in the life of a suburban mom.  I also want to give a shout out to my good friend, Amy Davis, who had her two girls and two nieces with her for our urban day.  We met at the station, boarded the train together and spent the bulk of the day together--thanks for your help, Amy!!


No comments: