Thursday, January 19, 2012

Our Jake

I want to take some time to write down some things about Jake I don't ever want to forget about him at a newly age 3:

*Jake loves to sing. He sings a lot both in the car and at the house. He's mostly just singing to himself and I think it's the cutest ever. I have tried to capture his singing on video a couple times, but the moment he sees me he stops. Some of the songs I have heard him singing are "Away in a Manger," "The Star Spangled Banner," "Wild Thing," "Glory to God, "Jesus Loves Me," just to name a few.

*He's developing a wonderful imagination. The ways I see this in action are when he tells me his food is either an airplane, football player, or some other object. Also, instead of using her markers and crayons to draw, he most often turns them into football players or other make-believe things.

*He went through a stage while he was 2 when he was a big-time back seat driver. He doesn't do it so much anymore, but when I'm stopped, he used to tell me which way to go and would get upset when I turned the other way.

*I've noticed that he uses the word "probably" a lot. I guess he must get that from Kevin or me, although I don't notice it in our vocabularies.

*Sometimes he still just wants to be held. I'm dreading the day he grows out of wanting this affection, so I'm so happy and blessed to show him love by holding him.

*He really, genuinely likes sports. It's hard to say if he has a favorite, b/c he seems to focus on whatever is in season. During baseball season, playing baseball was a definite, everyday activity. Now, we've moved through football and on to basketball.

*He laughs the hardest when he's playing with his Daddy.

*I know this is normal for a 3-year-old, but this Mommy is still amazed and proud. Jake can completely dress himself. He needs someone to tie shoelaces, but he's a champ at everything else.

*On the topic of clothing, he's very opinionated about what he wears. I usually give him a couple choices of shirt, pants, etc. and he's OK, but he HAS to choose. He also has definite favorite articles of clothing, these are typically sports related, but not always. His favorites lately are his new warm-up suit, Peru soccer jersey, "basketball or "soccer" shorts, or any of his Spiderman shirts.

*His tennis shoes are NOT called tennis shoes, and he will correct you if you mistakenly call then tennis shoes. They are either basketball shoes or soccer shoes, depending on what Jake wants for the day.

*Jake and Daddy like to make up stories sometimes before bed. Jake usually starts his stories with, "So...." The word "so" is also spread throughout the story in places where a period or comma might call for a pause.

*He loves to fall down on purpose when he's playing. He also falls frequently on accident, resulting in bumps and bruises.

*He sweetly says, "Ta-da" when he does something he's proud of and he wants you to see.

No comments: